Projects per year
As part of the Oncology Research Center, the Laboratory for Medical & Molecular Oncology (LMMO) at the VUB Faculty of Medicine engages in several major research initiatives: to study pancreatic cancer biology (Prof. Dr. Ilse Rooman), to study cancer immunotherapy including autologous dendritic cell therapies (Prof. Dr. Bart Neyns) and to advance targeted therapies for cancer in genomically defined patients (personalized medicine, Prof. Emeritus Dr. Jacques De Grève)
PROJECTS ROOMAN LAB
The role of axon guidance genes in pancreatic cancer
The SLIT ligand-ROBO receptor pathway presents frequent mutations in pancreatic cancer. We study the biology in pancreatic tumor cells and their interaction with the stroma.
Molecular characterization of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma
Pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma can be subdivided in different molecular tumor subtypes. Our study aims at pragmatic subtyping and studying subtype-specific biomarkers.
Exocrine cell differentiation in pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
Exocrine cells are the cells of origin for tumor formation. We study changes in exocrine cell differentiation, in particular those of acinar cells, that might predispose for tumor development.
Drug repurposing in pancreatic cancer
We investigate the effects of non-cancer drugs for their potential tumor inhibitory effects.
The above research is underpinned by advanced microscopic techniques, and advanced pancreatic (tumor) cell modelling in vitro (cell lines, primary cells, organoids) and in mice (genetically engineered mouse models, patient derived xenografts).
PROJECTS NEYNS LAB
Targeted Therapies (BRAF/MEK-inhibitors) (Dr. G. Awada)
- TraMel-WT (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): trial of Trametinib in patients with advanced pretreated BRAFV600 wild-type Melanoma
- Combi-R2 (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): Dabrafenib/Trametinib/Hydroxychloroquine for advanced pretreated BRAF V600 mutant melanoma
Myeloid Dendritic Cell Therapy (MYDC) (Dr. JK. Schwarze)
- myDCTV (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): intratumoral injection of autologous CD1c/CD141 (BDCA-1/BDCA-3)+ myDC plus Talimogene Laherparepvec (T-VEC)
- myDAvlpNi (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): intratumoral injection of autologous CD1c/CD141 (BDCA-1/BDCA-3)+ myDC, Avelumab, and Ipilimumab plus systemic Nivolumab
Checkpoint Inhibitors (Prof. Dr. B. Neyns)
- GlitipNi: intra-tumoral Ipilimumab plus intravenous Nivolumab following the resection of recurrent Glioblastoma
- LuSCID: Lung cancer treated with SBRT, Checkpoint Inhibitors and myeloid Dendritic cells
PARP Inhibition in HRD Solid Tumors (Dr. S. Joris)
- Precision 2 Study: Olaparib: efficacy of olaparib in advanced cancers occurring in patients with germline mutations or somatic tumor mutations in homologous recombination genes
- Whole exome sequencing on index patients in families with breast and pancreatic cancer
EGFR-Targeted Therapy (Prof. Dr. L. Decoster)
- Afatinib: a prospective explorative open label Phase II study of Afatinib in the treatment of advanced cancers carrying a EGFR, HER2 or HER3 mutation
- G-OncoCOACH (geriatric assessment): randomized study to investigate the effect of GA-directed interventions coordinated by the geriatric team and patient coaching versus interventions coordinated by oncologists in older adults with cancer treated with systemic therapy
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/06/21 → 30/06/23
1/05/21 → 30/04/26
1/10/16 → 1/10/21
Features of post-obstructive pneumonia in advanced lung cancer patients, a large retrospective cohortMoretti, M., Wellekens, S., Dirkx, S., Vekens, K., Van Laethem, J., Ilsen, B. & Vanderhelst, E., Feb 2023, In: Infectious diseases (London, England). 55, 2, p. 149-157 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Pembrolizumab, radiotherapy, and an immunomodulatory five-drug cocktail in pretreated patients with persistent, recurrent, or metastatic cervical or endometrial carcinoma: Results of the phase II PRIMMO studyDe Jaeghere, E. A., Tuyaerts, S., Van Nuffel, A. M. T., Belmans, A., Bogaerts, K., Baiden-Amissah, R., Lippens, L., Vuylsteke, P., Henry, S., Trinh, X. B., van Dam, P. A., Aspeslagh, S., De Caluwé, A., Naert, E., Lambrechts, D., Hendrix, A., De Wever, O., Van de Vijver, K. K., Amant, F., Vandecasteele, K. & 1 others, , Feb 2023, In: Cancer Immunol Immunother. 72, 2, p. 475-491 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access3 Citations (Scopus)
Giron, P., De Grève, J. & Ballet, S., 1 Jan 2023, In: Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 79, 129066.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Towards precision pain medicine for pain after cancer: the Cancer Pain Phenotyping Network multidisciplinary international guidelines for pain phenotyping using nociplastic pain criteriaNijs, J., Lahousse, A., Fernández-de-Las-Peñas, C., Madeleine, P., Fontaine, C., Nishigami, T., Desmedt, C., Vanhoeij, M., Mostaqim, K., Cuesta-Vargas, A. I., Kapreli, E., Bilika, P., Polli, A., Leysen, L., Elma, Ö., Roose, E., Rheel, E., Yılmaz, S. T., De Baets, L., Huysmans, E. & 2 others, , 24 Jan 2023, In: British Journal of Anaesthesia.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Sofie Joris (Speaker)9 Jun 2022
Activity: Talk or presentation › Talk or presentation at a conference
Health-related quality of life of long-term advanced melanoma survivors treated with anti-CTLA-4 immune checkpoint inhibition compared to matched controls
Neyns, B. (Creator), Taylor & Francis, 2020
Additional file 4: of Identification of candidate cancer predisposing variants by performing whole-exome sequencing on index patients from BRCA1 and BRCA2-negative breast cancer families
Additional file 3: of Identification of candidate cancer predisposing variants by performing whole-exome sequencing on index patients from BRCA1 and BRCA2-negative breast cancer families
Additional file 5: of Identification of candidate cancer predisposing variants by performing whole-exome sequencing on index patients from BRCA1 and BRCA2-negative breast cancer families
Additional file 6: of Identification of candidate cancer predisposing variants by performing whole-exome sequencing on index patients from BRCA1 and BRCA2-negative breast cancer families
Van Dooren, S. (Creator), Teugels, E. (Creator), Bonduelle, M. (Creator), Shahi, R. B. (Creator), De Brakeleer, S. (Creator), Vanhoeij, M. (Creator), Joris, S. (Creator), Fontaine, C. (Creator), Pauwels, I. (Creator), Caljon, B. (Creator) & De Grève, J. (Creator), Springer, 2019